M2M offers significant new opportunities for government, utilities and businesses across major industries to compete more effectively in the information economy. The goal of an M2M solution is to increase efficiency and create new revenue opportunities by increasing an organization's service levels, performance and competitiveness. This is achieved by allowing users to access information, receive alerts regarding critical situations, and control and manipulate variables on their dispersed machine assets via a computer or PDA device.
In itself, technology is not a competitive advantage. However, when integrated into an enterprise's business processes and tuned to deliver optimum business value to its customers, it becomes a powerful tool to gain market share, increase revenue, enhanced productivity and profitability. Some of the most innovative enterprises are harnessing the power of M2M to deliver truly creative ways of enhancing customer service, including
- Vendor Managed Inventory
- Remote Condition Monitoring of Equipment
- Remote Metering & Billing for Power/Water Utilities
- Wireless Outstations for Flood Warnings, Pollution Control
- Monitoring Stations for Water Industry
- Wireless Outstations in the Broadcast and Telco Industry
- Remote Data Acquisition
- Telemetric Auto Start Systems
- Remote Tank Level Monitoring
- Leakage and Instrusion Detection
Such system can thus be deployed in instrument reading and supply chain management applications in diverse industries including chemical, power supply, water treatment, transport systems, environment management, facility and estate management, security, equipment maintenance, transmission tower, etc.